6th Grade Curriculum
- Reading: finding information, evidence, theme, point of view and plot from a text. Determine meaning of unknown words from context. Analyze, compare and contrast different forms and genres of literature.
Writing: write to support claims with clear reasons, write explanations, and write narratives using appropriate style and techniques and include conclusions.
Speaking: Speak effectively in a variety of discussions, present findings, adapt speech to different contexts and include multi-media components
Language: use proper conventions (capitalizations, punctuation, spelling), learn appropriate vocabulary, and understand parts of speech
- Includes study of the ancient civilizations from the Stone Age through the Fall of Rome using the language arts skills above.
- The course reviews operations with fractions and decimals. It also covers ratios, proportions and percents.
Beginning algebraic notation, one-step equations and integers also covered.
- The course includes several weeks of health and three quarters of physical science.
Topic areas deal with the scientific method, matter, chemistry, electricity, force, motion, energy, and the universe.
- Taught as part of science. Health topics include the dangers of alcohol use, healthy eating, digestion, injury prevention, disease prevention and promotion of sexual health.
A variety of art activities will be explored in creating
art projects. Opportunity is provided to become
acquainted with concepts and possibilities for creative
Conditioning and basic skill will be introduced through a
variety of individual and team activities. Conditioning
is stressed to help the student achieve increased
- STEM Engineering
An introduction to the study of engineering and technology used in industry, and in the garden.
Students will participate in various "hands-on" activities using tools and equipment. Safety is stressed.
- STEM Lab
An introduction to the study of science, technolgy, engineering and math in a computer lab setting. Students will be introduced to practices and computer skills used in industry, will learn basic electronics and experimentation.
A classes for violin, viola, cello and string bass
students who have no previous playing experience or those
who have some previous experience. Basic instruction in
orchestra playing techniques and orchestra music is
For 6th grade students who wish to learn to play a wind
or percussion instrument. No previous knowledge of music