This school is named in honor of the late Frank B. Hamlin, who served the community as a leader in education and other civic activities for many years.
Frank Blackstone Hamlin was born November 5, 1868, in McPherson, Iowa. He moved to California in 1876 and then to Roseburg, Oregon, in 1889 where he taught school at the Old Umpqua Academy. Later he was Superintendent of Schools in Roseburg for 9 years; County School Superintendent for Douglas County for 8 years; and Principle of Woodstock School in Portland for 10 years.
In 1919 he moved to Springfield to be City School Superintendent. In 1922 he became Postmaster of Springfield; and in 1934 served as Principle of Elementary Schools until retirement because of his age in 1938.
In 1938 he became a Real Estate broker and was associated with Oscar L. Shockley and Mrs. Shockley for many years. He served as Secretary of the Chamber of Commerce several times and also as President. He took post-graduate work at the University of Oregon and held a State Life Teachers' Certificate from Oregon. He and his sister were two of the first six people to obtain and hold such a certificate. During the Spanish American War , Mr. Hamlin served in the Philippines and held the rank of Captain. He was promoted to major and served during World War I.
Hamlin Middle School is located on a fifteen acre tract within the city of Springfield, formerly known as the "pole yard" and purchased from the L. D. McFarland lumber Company. The site had long been abandoned by the McFarland Lumber Company for industrial purposes and had become a fire hazard. Hamlin is adjacent to Moffitt Elementary School.
Planning for a new Junior High School to replace Mill Street Junior High School , began early in the 1955-56 school year and the site was purchased for $17,000 from funds in the regular budget set aside for site acquisition. In April of 1956, voters of the community gave overwhelming approval to a bond issue of $965,000 submitted by the School Board for the purpose of constructing a new Middle School , expanding Thurston and Springfield Middle Schools, and adding multi-purpose room at Walterville.
The architectural firm of Wilmsen and Endicott was employed to design the new Middle School in June, 1956, and eight months later the project was ready for bidding. Mr. Everett Fox was chairman of the Board of Education during the 1956-57 school year. On March 4, 1957, the contract was awarded to the Gale Roberts Construction Company and work actually began on the structure on March 8, 1957. The classroom units were occupied on September 9, 1957, and the entire building was ready for occupancy in November.
In the planning and construction of Hamlin Middle School, particular attention was focused on a type of structure that would meet the educational needs of middle school age students. Facilities to develop this type of program are found in the Hamlin School. When needed, eight additional classrooms may be added to this building, bringing the capacity to approximately 800 students.
Interesting Statistical Information
Estimating the covered area at one-third of the enclosed area, there is a total area equivalent to 61,000 square feet of enclosed space. The contract price for the structure was $548,067 or $8.98 per square feet. On a per pupil basis, the building cost is $901.
Additional costs were: architects fees, furniture, equipment, and landscaping which will bring the total cost to approximately the estimated amount of $665,000.
Hamlin Middle School is basically constructed of wood manufactured in this area. There is approximately 357 thousand board feet of lumber in the structure and an additional 110 thousand square feet of plywood sheathing and hardboard. Additional lumber was used for the millwork and concrete forms.